Shooooo! This SuperNova has officially landed back in the stratosphere after my very first camping + Burn experience. After at least 4 years of telling myself, I’m not brave enough, not strong enough, I’ll never last 24 hours, I’m not even a camper, it’s just too rough out there – I embraced a new level of submergence and all-encompassing in-ness. (With some amazing pics I found on Instagram to match)
1. OUR SOULS ARE MEANT TO BE SEEN. It’s the way of our stars. And it’s very SuperNova-ish. Some might even dare to say it’s kinda radical. And yet, it is 100% truth. Our souls are meant to be seen. In fact, I carved these very words into the Temple of Gratitude in anticipation of my first silent burn. (Some people didn’t get the memo and demanded to be heard instead). We come into the world in truth and then by convention become our own redacted cover up story/mystery novella. Yet Radical Self Expression and Radical Acceptance seems to radiate from the Tankwa earth … Our souls are meant to be seen, expressed, made known, and revealed. Dress it up. Dress it down. Bare it all. Bring as much of yourself in as your human condition allows. Welcome home.
Because if you can’t come home to your soul, your own unique essence, how will you ever find a place to pitch a tent in the real world??? (and honestly what would that matter anyway).
2. STAR DUST HAPPENS. Whether you’re va-va-vooming to your own tracks, sitting on the sidelines, or sticking your head in the sand – you are going to get covered in dust. So you might as well roll in it and with it. Yes, I just said that out loud. Clearly, this change thing is kinda the real deal! Ok, so I’ll admit, I’m no Princess, but messy hasn’t been something I personally ran towards wholeheartedly either. If you’re going to make tracks and create sandstorms, it might as well be the kinda movement you want to be a part of. The kinda movement you want
If you’re going to make tracks and create sandstorms, it might as well be the kinda movement you want to be a part of. The kinda movement you want lead. It’s even to forget that our star-dust constellations are uniquely our own. Very often we gag ourselves in the aftermath of someone else’s dust storm. Blinded to thinking these are the footsteps we need to follow. Trying to keep up at our own expense. I’d much rather dance in my own sandstorm. I’d much rather create a stir on my own doing (and undoing) and stay one step (nudge) ahead. I realise that I’m the cause and effect of my own experiences. I choose not to be an
I’d much rather dance in my own sandstorm. I’d much rather create a stir on my own doing (and undoing) and stay one step (nudge) ahead. I realise that I’m the cause and effect of my own experiences. I choose not to be an affect. And yet, we’ve all been there. The affect of someone else’s prescription. That’s no way to put yourself out there (brand). That’s no way to live your purpose (business).
So I dare you, create your own trail of dust! (On your own galactical terms)
3. EVERYTHING HAPPENS BY DESIGN. The question is do we choose it or just let it happen to us? Serendipity happens, so we might as well get intentional about the stuff that matters most in our lives. I’d like to think there is a clear line between intention and expectations – and yet it’s one of those things we (as humanity) easily blur. Intentions good. Expectations tend to pick us up to dizzying heights and drop us cold. Not fun. And a lot of ouch. It’s our business to craft the kinds of experiences that evoke something meaningful. Something grounded.
Don’t get me wrong, the alternative, float-though-parade has a pretty amazing party feel about it … Yet the worst thing that can happen is things get a little flat. Moments – the ones that make it into one’s radar and into our memories – are notable because the have distinction. And there’s a kinda magic to it too. Turns out giving up control is kinda as essential as water out there. Shooo.
Moments like these are what makes Tankwa Town magical. Lara Kirsten performs under the Temple of //Xam to a rapt audience. This stunning photo by @gideonvewas #afrikaburn2017 #AfrikaBurn #audience #burner #burningman #composition #desertlife #larakirsten #moments #music #performance #performanceart #selfexpression #temple #xam
4. THERE ARE A FIRST TIME // TRAINING WHEELS FOR EVERYTHING. The Universe had to start somewhere, on its own clock, in its own divine timing, in its own signature creation. Every journey is different. No two experiences identical. And no matter how hard you’d try and reproduce anything – everything has already changed. I wonder if you can ever be fully experienced in the Burn? Somehow, something whispers no. And that’s a good thing. There’s no room in this Universe for competitions. I wanted to be prepared. I packed really well. I just realised the Lena Ski Thrival Guide to AfrikaBurn 2017 could only be written in the moment … so there was nothing that could prepare me … but learning to trust in what’s rising. And that reminds me of another thing. Why is the world so adamant of Survival Guides when what we are really seeking are Thrival Templates? #AskForWhatYouWant
5. COMFORT IS WHAT YOU BRING ALONG (AND PITCH) FOR THE RIDE. There’s a thought. It’s not what you leave behind. It’s the things you bring along. Mine happened to be Burnie the Burn Bear … who is still out there fulfilling his own teddy-ish destiny. And comfort has nothing to do with creature comforts ( though my pillow helped too) What if comfort is who you are in the moment, that little chestnut called surrender, and the grace in which you pull yourself together and accept the odds may be stacked against your favour AND you’re still clearly very much a winner ?!? There’s a radical thought huh? What if the comfort is the compassion you bring into the world (towards yourself, others, and the planet as it could be)? AfrikaBurn asks you to bring all your stuff to the game. And come to think of it being a SuperNova doesn’t really allow for any part of oneself to not be brought in.
6. EVERYTHING BURNS. Some people die by the fire. Others are made from it. Everything burns. Everything dies. The SuperNova question is do you want to die from it or into it? #changeperspective
You are where you are meant to be. Trust the timing of your life. 🔥🔥🔥Visit the blog for my photo journal of the AfrikaBurn. . . . . . . . . . . #selfexpression #blogger #travel #adventure #capetownmag #afrikaburn2017 #afrikaburn #burn #burningman #temple #silentburn #fire #phorography #tankwa #tankwatown #karoo #meetsouthafrica #southafrica
7. THE MUSIC WILL ALWAYS FIND YOU. It’s serendipity again. If you set yourself up to have certain things cross your path – don’t be surprised when they cross your path. Complainers are easy to constellate. Appreciators who groove into the beat, who choose not to resist, and go all in … go astronomical. You are the whole Universe in concerto. When in play – you might as well dance 🙂